LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It is ok to ask for help!


There’s nothing noble about suffering in silence. People often treat their own weight loss as a socially-foul affliction, to be hidden away with more secrecy than Donald Trump’s ATM number. 


But if you’re serious about getting some serious results this time – and keeping those results – it’s time to come out of quarantine and let someone in on the secret.

You might feel you have good reason to be reluctant to invite someone to help with your weight loss. Perhaps you feel too shy, embarrassed, or insecure. You might feel like you’re imposing. But most people would be more than willing to help, and there is no shame in asking. After all, you’re taking charge of your life, striving toward an important goal, and working hard to improve yourself. Rather than feeling sorry for yourself, you’re doing something about it. You have a lot to be proud of. If anything, you’d be doing them a favor by asking them to jump on the healthy living bandwagon! 


Involving others can drive you to your destination in record time, and it can make the ride as fun as a college road trip. You could have someone by your side, facing challenges with you. When one succeeds, you both succeed; when one stumbles, you both look for ways to bounce back. You strive, survive and celebrate together. Is there a more rewarding way to lose weight?

Plus, involving others is just darned effective. A University of Pittsburgh study showed that dieters who had just one other person check in on their progress lost twice as much weight as those who didn’t have help. As the researchers said, “social support adds accountability.”

Weight loss is already tough enough – why make it tougher on yourself? Why not take advantage of every opportunity to boost your odds of hitting your goal? Involving others may be the best chance you’ll get to do exactly that.

Help can come from many places in many forms: 

Spouse (?!!)
That’s right, the most effective weight loss partner might be sitting right next to you on the couch. Most people cringe at the idea of dieting along with a spouse. But the fact is that couples going through a fitness program together are 5 times more likely to stick with it than if they tried it alone, according to an Indiana University study. A lot of self-esteem and vulnerability are in play, but weight loss can be a positive experience and bring couples closer together. For many, it’s a caring way to accomplish something as a couple. 


 

Fitness Buddy
Fitness buddies are two or more people who commit to helping each other reach consistent goals with friendly encouragement and regular contact. The right fitness buddy can keep you upbeat when you’re feeling down, keep you motivated when you’re tempted to slack, and keep you focused on the prize. 



 

Groups & Teams
Help can be found beyond your collection of closest friends. Finding or joining an active and supportive group or team can do wonders for your consistency and confidence. Walking clubs, exercise classes, and community centers are full of people who know that social fitness is just as rewarding as it is fun. 





The best help is right here in blogland in my humble opinion.  There are so many successful women who are making the changes and making them stick!  Find someone you connect with, pick their brains, ask them questions, I know they will support you anyway they can.  I just spent three days with these women and trust me they are willing to pass on the tips they have learned.  They want to see others be just as successful as they are.



We all need help now and again!  Don't wait -  ask for it now......before the weight comes back on or the stress causes you to eat the whole damn bag of chips or cookies!



Nichole is my workout buddy and without her I would not be doing nearly as well working out everyday!  She pushes me when I would rather stay home after my 14 hour day at work!  She tells me to do five more laps in the pool when I want to crawl out and sit in the hot tub!  She tells me how great I am doing, but that I need to do better!  She is my rock.  Having someone to confide in, ask questions of, and just plain be with is a key to reaching your ultimate weight loss goals.

They will not usually magically appear in your lap however, you have to search them out! 

7 comments:

Debi said...

I love that exercise motivation! I gotta get me one of those ;)

Lap Band Groupie said...

I was SO very wonderful to meet you Kristen! I was so moved by your story and I can't wait to follow it to your goal. You're a beautiful woman inside and out! ((hugs))

Lap Band Groupie said...

Whoops 'Kristin'...sorry, my niece's name also/spelling.

Stacey said...

I have the exercise motivation one on a t-shirt! I love it, I would wear it when I walk/run. I had to give it up because it outgrew me. But I still have it as a pj shirt!

Darlin1 said...

Loved this blog and........YOU!!!

MandaPanda said...

Yes yes yes! I always find it interesting that people talk about food addiction as any other addiction but the other addictions all have support groups. AA, sponsors, etc. My hubby has been a HUGE source of support for me, I utilize my BFF as my fitness buddy and all of Blogland has been a shoulder for me to cry on. I don't know where I'd be without all 3. Great post!

Beth Ann said...

I take inspriation absolutely anywhere I can find it!!